Friday, November 12, 2010

Criteria Reasoning

The most difficult reasoning to understand was reasoning by criteria. I checked the link the professors blog provided but it didn't explain the reasoning really clear. The examples in the site were not clear as well. I tried to do some extra research on this concept but it would link me to other blogs from this class. Since the website was the only source I found, I had to analyze it more.  I didn't understand what they meant by "defining the criteria by which the outcome will be judged" at first but after reading over it more I finally got understand it. I understand that "defining criteria" meant find something that can later be judged then have a decision on it. For example "Your son wants a new car and fast car?  Lets see what we have. This car might be the one you're looking for." The criteria is searching for a new car while the decision is " this car might be the one for you".

4 comments:

  1. Hey wahrmode, this certain type if reasoning seemed somewhat confusing to me too and I needed to do some extra research in order to clear up the confusion that I had. Another definition I found for this topic that may help you and is actually somewhat simple is that reasoning by criteria is comparing against established criteria. It made me think about how every teacher has certain criteria guidelines for students when we are writing papers showing what denotes an A grade from a C grade. So, when teachers use these guidelines to give students a grade for an essay, I think they are using criteria reasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you in that this type of reasoning was also fairly difficult for me to understand. I also agree that the explanation given in the link was not very clear. What you quoted about defining the criteria and the outcome was helpful. So from what I understand is that the criteria are created and you then find something that fulfills them without saying one “should” do this or that. Your example was good. It offers a solution that may meet the criteria without being definite and forceful because it does not use words or phrases like “you should”.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I agree with you I found reasoning by criteria hard as well.I try looking for links and doing a bit of extra research, but still didn't find a useful website that made it easier for me to understand this analogy. I agree with with bobby boucher here as well as hard as it was to understand this concept, he have a good example. Teachers do use criteria when grading their paperwork and evaluating them for their grade. Teachers have to use a lot of criteria to grade the students fairly and to give them a grade that the student earn depending on how well they did in the class based mostly on how well they worked on their assignments. But yes I agree with you this concept of reasoning by criteria was really hard to understand but good job explaining the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems that many of us had the same difficulty with this concept. I agree that the website did not provide enough of a definition or adequate example. Most of the time, the definitions of the concepts are unclear. Its only when I look at the examples provided that it starts to make sense. I found the same alternate definition as Bobby, but limited examples for clarification. I liked his example of the teacher’s grading criteria. My understanding after reading a few examples is that it’s an argument that presents choices or suggests criteria options, instead of having a choice or decision made for you.

    ReplyDelete