Friday, November 19, 2010

Cause and Effect

The cause and effect website was useful in showing a great example of causal arguments. The example was very clear and explained a lot about causal arguments. Although the website was very detailed, it was still kind of confusing. It was like they were explaining too many things at one time. I think it would have been better if the website explain the concept of causal arguments first then show an example. This website still taught me about causal argument. In order to determine the strength of the causal argument, it has to rely on three factors. According to the website, we must first see 'how acceptable or demonstrable the implied comparison is." In others we must see if there is a similarity between the circumstances. Second, we must see "how likely the case for causation seems to be". Lastly we must see "how credible "only significant difference" or "only significant commonality" claim is. Overall the website was helpful but I didn't understand it enough to get what the full concept is all about.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, first off great post! I thought the cause and effect website was a pretty useful tool in explaining the concepts of causal arguments. I enjoyed the examples the website had to offer as it's always nice to apply the knowledge you just gained onto real-world examples after just reading nothing but text for quite some time. As you said, the website easily explained the three factors that causal arguments rely on, which greatyl helped me in my understanding of the concept as well as helping me form my own causal arguments. I do agree with the "too-much-text" at once thing you mentioned, a format of "single concept-example" etc would be a much better format.

    ReplyDelete