Friday, October 22, 2010

Usefulness of assignment 1 & 2

I found both assignments to be very useful. One of the things that were very useful was dividing the paper in to different parts. Many of these parts were concepts that came from the readings in the Epstein book. For example we had to find the premises, evidence, and the major claim for the first assignment. Those concepts were found in the earlier chapters of the reading. In the second assignment, the paper was also divided into different parts which were also concepts in the readings. For example the paper was divided into, concealed claims, fallacies and other concepts we recently read about. I find that putting those concepts in the paper make it easier to understand. I like how the concepts were implemented in the assignments because we could put use the concepts we read about. I also like how the assignments were related to current events so it was much easier to understand.

3 comments:

  1. I agree. I found that having predefined sections in both projects made it easier to split up. Since she has taught this class for a number of years, I’m sure she’s developed a system that works well for these types of projects. Incorporating the concepts discussed in the book and applying them to editorials and websites, strengthen my understanding of each principle and I was better equipped to apply them to the claims found in each project. I believe it was easier with the 2nd project, because we were able to see the use of the artifacts more clearly, therefore making it easier to locate appropriate examples. Overall, a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I thought these two essays connected to the modern world well. They were both useful. I also thought the sections that the professor gave us made the paper flow together more smoothly. We were able to use the concepts that we've been using from the start of the semester and use it as tools in these papers. Even with the number of people working on one paper it made the paper run as smoothly as a group paper can. I agree with the other commenter that the 2nd paper was much easier because we could use different sources instead of one article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of the group assignments were very useful. Dividing the sections to each group member made it a lot easier to focus on one part of the essay. Incorporating what we learned from the book allowed me to improve my critical thinking skills and gave me a better understanding of each concept. I agree that when we used topics that were relevant to the currents new it made it easier to comprehend. Applying the materials we learned show how much we have improved from the beginning of the semester because now we can use the skills we learned to examine every day news articles or organizations.

    ReplyDelete