Friday, October 1, 2010

Advertisements on the Internet

One of the most annoying things I see on the internet are the advertisements. They are in almost every website and are also very convincing and sometimes misleading. Advertisements are also popping up in popular sites such These advertisements range from cheap cruises, free ipods, to cosmetic products that remove pimples. Sometime clicking on to these ads could lead to virus or constant pop-ups. One of the most annoying ads are the ones when an add pops up and says "Congratulations you won...." These are also known as the talking ads. Some of these ads similar to the one on top are known to be viruses if you keep clicking on them. I get very cautious clicking on  to these ads. According to Epstein, we must evaluate the premises and see if there is good reason to believe the argument is true. There is also certain criteria in order to accept or reject the claim. For example one of the ways  we can accept the claim is if its from our own experiences. I remember my friend told me to sign up to win a free ipod. In order to get one, I would have to email 8 people and then those  people would have to email 8 different people and then go on forever. Another way we can accept a claim is if it is made by reliable media outlet. For example I read a news article talking about an ad that was misleading. http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2008-02/click-here-if-you-want-free-ipod

2 comments:

  1. I can most definitely relate to the annoying pop-up advertisements displayed on your blog post. I don't ever click on those advertisements because 1. how can I be sure that I was actually the "1,000,000th visitor" because that number seems to apply to me a bit to often as I surf the web; 2. through personal experiences, when I see an asterisk symbol beside the "too good to be true deal" such as winning a free laptop or an iPad, majority of the time there are all these restrictions, policies, and side deals I may have to apply and/or pay for in order to get my "free laptop;" and lastly, 3. I don't know where the source of the laptop or iPad is coming from. Usually, the pop-up ads intentionally leave out who it is affiliated with, but it makes the ad become an unreliable source and a judgment asking for rejection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post because it made me reflect on different times where I have gotten stuck on annoying ads like this one saying that you are the 1,000,000th visitor, and congratulations, you win a free laptop. It makes me wonder who has the time to sit there and make an internet ad that people like us get annoyed by for a second, then completely disregard it. Luckily, I have a Mac laptop now so i do not get bothered by pointless ads like this, but recently I have gotten weird emails from someone in a foreign country trying to convince me that I should work for a secret agency and make millions. However, I know that these are rediculous ads, just like the laptop winner ads and all you can do is ignore them.

    ReplyDelete