Friday, October 22, 2010

General Claims & Valid Forms

There are many different ways to use general claims. Certain words such as "all" and "some" are very common in general claims. When we use the word "all"  it means that everyone is used. When we use "some" it means that there is at least one.  There are many ways to use "all" and "some". A real life example is "All my friends are  partying tonight." Other ways we can say "all" is "my friends are partying tonight. Every friend of mines is partying tonight. Everyone of my friends are partying tonight." All this claims are very general and are probably not true because not all my friends like to party. A contradictory to this claim would be "some of my friends are partying tonight. At least one of my friends are partying tonight." Sometimes it is hard to determine a contradictory because there are so many ways to make a general claim.

Another thing I learned about was direct ways of reasoning with "all". An example of one is  "All my friends party. Jayne is my friend. So Jayne parties." This is an example of a valid argument. A weak argument usually argues backwards. An example of one is "All my friends party. Jayne parties. So Jayne is my friend." As you can see this is a weak argument.

1 comment:

  1. I liked the examples you wrote about the various ways you can state a general claim. When you’re able to see how many ways a general claim can be written on the same topic or subject, you’re able to see just how common general claims are and how often they occur when we are speaking or listening to a conversation. I also like how you incorporated the general claim, all, into an argument. All and some seem to be the two most common ways of stating something in an argument; therefore, you’re able to see just how an argument is either strong or weak with the use of general claims.

    ReplyDelete