Thursday, December 9, 2010

Pick one concept or idea from any point in the semester that you found useful or interesting.

The concept I found useful and the most interesting of the semester is fallacies. The thing I will  most remember about this class is fallacies. At first the concept of fallacies was very confusing but towards the end of the semester I finally got to understand the. As I mentioned in the first post I can now notice  fallacies every where from the TV or at school. I like how there are many kinds of fallacies and people can relate to them. One of the fallacies that hear a lot is appeal to common belief. This is when everyone is forced to believe in something just because everybody else is. For example everyone likes the Lakers so you should like them too. Another one that is interesting is appeal to pity because I see a lot of this in commercials. I see a lot of political ads posting appeal to pity. Overall fallacies were the most important thing I learned.

1 comment:

  1. Fallacies were a very interesting concept. I did not know much about them before this class. I would agree that the fallacies we talked about early on were confusing and they got easier to understand at the end. It was interesting to learn about all the different kinds of fallacies like the one you mentioned, appeal to common belief. Reading about these fallacies helped me realize that many advertisements, commercials and arguments use them. There have been so many fallacies used on television commercials that I did not even know were fallacies. Now that I know some types of them, I can point out certain fallacies that I see.

    ReplyDelete