Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Question 1. Subjective and Objective Claims

There are many examples of subjective and objective claims. A subjective claim is a claim based on someones opinions, beliefs, or ideals whether it is true or false. An example of a subjective claim is "The Lakers are the best team in the NBA". Although the Lakers are the current NBA champions, this claim is still based on my opinion. Other people might claim that the Miami Heat is the best team because they have Lebron James and Chris Bosh. This too is a subjective because it is based on their opinions.

An objective claim is a more factual claim whether its true or false. A recent example of a true objective claim is "The Lakers are the 2010 NBA Champions". This is an objective claim because it is a fact that the Lakers are the 2010 champions. The claim shows a date which is factual. An example of a false objective claim is today's date is December 25, 2008. Although the statement is false, the claim uses a date which makes it factual.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Warren,

    This post amused me because I like how you used your examples about basketball. I am surprised that I didn't though of these examples for my post. I am also a Lakers fan but judging from your post I guess you are a much bigger fan than myself. I like the example you used for your subjective claim because not everyone is a Lakers fan. I also like the example you used for your objective claim about the Lakers because even an anti-Lakers fan would know that the Lakers won in the 2010 NBA Championship. Anyways, don't you think it would be a great game between the Lakers and the Heats this year? I hope so, because last year was a bit predictable.

    -Phat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post really grabbed my attention because I am a fan of the Los Angeles Lakers. I agree with your opinion that they are the best team in the NBA because they have proven that by winning two consecutive titles over the past two years. Yes its true that the Miami Heat have three all star players but I really don't think they can work together in one team because they are going to have to learn how to share the ball. Yes its true the Miami Heat have three good players but they don't have a good overall team and bench to help them compete against the L.A. Lakers. But this is just my opinion about the situation. Nice examples for Subjective and Objective Claims.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great use of staying with the example, basketball, while connecting it with subjective and objective claims. The lakers definitely deserved the NBA trophy for last season. It is going to be interesting to watch the Miami Heat since they have Lebron James and Bosh added to their roster. However, the Lakers will continue to be a solid and tough team since they have won two championships in a row. People will have their own opinion when it comes to sports since it is about competing and who ever has who on a specific team. Your post caught my attention since I love to play and watch sports on my spare time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wahrmode,
    Even though I am a Warrior fan and am not big on Kobe, I really like this post on subjective and objective claims because anything that has to do with sports easily catches my attention. One of the best places to find subjective and objective claims has to be Sportscenter on ESPN. I used something similar in which i heard a reporter state a subjective claim in which he said that "the New Orleans Saints are going to repeat as Super Bowl Champions." Just like your opinion might differ from the statement that the Lakers are the best team in the NBA, I do not believe that the Saints are going to win it again this year.
    -Bobby Boucher

    ReplyDelete